Lots of us who go travelling experience some of the most intense, life-altering experiences of our lives. We see just how big and interesting the world is, and we begin to wonder if we could make it a more permanent thing.
Thanks to the internet, the old days of having to secure a work visa in every country you land in are gone. Provided you’re in a place with a decent internet connection, there are a few different ways to make money so you can travel indefinitely.
Making Money on the Internet to Fund Travel
- Freelancing – If only someone had told this author how much money could be made from freelance copywriting, web design, and affiliate marketing before she settled down, her travels could have been much longer and more interesting. Typically, she only found out it’s possible to make up to $1,000 a week online quite easily after she had kids and was looking for a job she could do from home. If you have a way with words, can put together nice WordPress websites, or can do both, then it’s possible to make a decent living on the road. Check out sites like peopleperhour for leads.
- Gambling – It can be dangerous and addictive, but if you do it right, gambling can also be highly lucrative. The trick is to find the games that involve skill rather than just blind chance. For example, if you master poker or learn how to count cards when playing blackjack, you can make consistent gains by gambling. Sites like Gamblers pro show the best sites with big welcome bonuses. Just stay away from the video slots and scratchcards – those are mugs games and you’re likely to shorten your adventure rather than prolong it.
- Trading – It takes a little skill and time to learn, but trading financial markets, cryptocurrencies, and other financial instruments can be highly profitable. Apps like Robinhood allow you to buy and sell fractions of stocks and shares, and some other trading apps allow you to bet on what direction the stock market will go in. It’s not the same as casino gaming; there are definite patterns to it such as trading moving averages. It’s worth looking into if you have a knack for understanding the markets.
- Teaching – Back in this author’s day, you had to take one-year contracts in China, Indonesia, and elsewhere to fund your next journey. That was no bad thing as you really get to dig deep and learn the culture when you spend a year or more there, but she’d have loved the flexibility to teach online, too. These days, there are all sorts of websites and apps hiring teachers who can teach English, French, Chinese, Arabic, and many other languages. You can also stop and teach in a real school if you find a place you particularly like.
- Hospitality – If you’re interested in working your way around the world, there’s no better industry to be in than hospitality. Whether it’s pulling pints or waiting tables or working on cruise ships that go all over the world, there are plenty of jobs in the travel and hospitality industries. The main benefit of this industry is you’re getting paid to travel rather than paying to travel. Of course, you’ll have to do your fair share of the work to earn your keep.
Go Live Your Dreams and Travel Far and Wide!
There really are no excuses anymore. If you really want to travel and have the work ethic to make it happen, there’s no stopping you. There’s nothing to stop you combining one or more of the methods above to make money on the road. There are very few places in the world today that don’t have an internet connection, so have at it and have fun!