Legendary artist Jimi Hendrix will go down in history as one of the most talented musicians of all time, you’ve no doubt heard one of his songs before, but how well do you know the man behind it?
Jimi Hendrix passed away just when his career was really starting to take off,but he still managed to accomplish a hell of a lot in the mere 4 years he spent in the spotlight. He went on to leave this world a musical idol when he died in 1970. As Hendrix would now be 75 years old, we’ve put together a list of 10 things you probably didn’t know about Jimi Hendrix as an homage to the star and celebrate the announcement of the new album of unreleased songs coming soon!
1) He wasn’t always called Jimi Hendrix. “Jimi” was born Johnny Allen Hendrix. His mum and dad did not have the greatest of relationships, so when Jimi’s father gained custody, and he went to live with him., his father renamed him James Marshall Hendrix. Although, he didn’t spell his name “Jimi” until 1966.
2) He used the military to avoid Prison. Jimi was caught in stolen cars on a couple of occasions whilst growing up in Seattle. He was subsequently arrested and given the choice of going to prison or two years in the military. He joined the army as an Airborne Ranger and although he was discharged for falling asleep whilst on duty, Hendrix later claimed that he broke his ankle and that was the real reason for his dismissal.
3) There are several conspiracy theories surrounding his death. One particular conspiracy theory alleges that Hendrix didn’t die accidentally, he was murdered. The theory states that Monika Dannemann, his girlfriend at the time made him overdose, unlikely as it may sound.
4) One of his most popular sings is a cover. His smash hit song “All Along the Watchtower”, was originally written and recorded by none other than Bob Dylan the year before. When Hendrix died, Dylan began to play the song in the Hendrix style as a tribute to him.
5) He loved comic books. Hendrix would quite often reference characters from comic books when talking amongst friends. Jimi was particularly keen on Spider-Man and was known to be a huge fan of Batman.
6) He wrote a screenplay. Written entirely by Jimi himself, his screenplay Moon Dust included a main character named The Powerful Sound King who was quite obviously based on himself. Other characters in the play where based on Marvel comics Spider Man characters.
7) He wasn’t able to read music. Hendrix never actually learned how to read music. He taught himself to play by ear rather than reading the notes on the page. His first ‘guitar’ was a Ukelele that only had one string.
8) Music was his religion. Jimi referred to his music as “Electric church” as he believed music was a religion. He put his belief into practice at Seattle’s Experience Music Project” where he named the great hall the “Sky Church”, a place where people of all ages and backgrounds could come together and experience music.
9) Once mistaken for a clown. Hendrix was once allegedly refused service in a Liverpool bar. The bartender had thought he was a clown and there was a circus in town and the bar had a rule: No Clowns Allowed.
10) You can Play Jimi Hendrix! There’s a slot machine modelled after Jimi Hendrix. Online casinos like bgo.com offer an online slot machine set to the soundtrack of the infamous musician. It embodies the essence of a Hendrix gig in an easy to play environment, with the potential of a nice little win.
- Halestorm and In This Moment Announce Co-Headline Tour Beginning April 30
- Remember the Monsters Debut New Single “Romeo & Juliet”
- Power Trip Announce North American Tour w/ Sheer Mag, Fury, and Red Death
- Judas Priest Release First Single “Lightning Strike” From Upcoming Album “Firepower”
- Final Cross-Country Run of The Vans Warped Tour Will Take Place In 2018